Wednesday 30 January 2008

Boredom in New Norfolk and thrills on the way

Well, after some extremely boring days in New Norfolk due to lack of work two Germans came by and I took the opportunity for the lift. At first we made an interesting day tour around some magnificient lakes (Lake Gordon and Lake Pedder). I still don't know if I should be annoyed about the fact that it was raining all day or happy because the rain gave the whole area such an intense atmosphere!

The next day we went up north and more or less crossed Tasmania from South to North. It's amazing how many different landscapes can fit on an island. There is everything from barren tundra to thick, wet rainforests and pastoral countryside. Our driver is unfortunately some kind of maniac doing Australia commando-style. His driving style is sometimes just insane! Going around a sharp turn on a gravel road by use of the handbrake with the abyss just beside can scare the shit out of you, believe me. You don't see much landscape when the inner eye starts rewinding your life for a comprehensive recollection short before you hit the ground.

I'm happy that I survived and now I'm in Launceston, which is the second biggest town in Tassy and actually quite beautiful. The hostel I'm staying in is fantastic. It's an old colonial style house with a huge balcony (studded with comfy couches) just in front of our room and all amenities a hostel could have. They even rent out outdoor gear ...

Today I'm just looking for work to get some money in. Wish me luck

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck stephan!
:)