Friday 4 January 2008

Chow Mein á la Stephen King

As I tried to grab something to eat on new years day my fridge greeted me with barren emptiness. Surprise, surprise! So I decided to go out eating for a change and as celebration of the new year. Humble as my backpackers budget is I went for the Subway at central station to get a wonderful footlong of Subway Melt. My order got interrupted by the information that they don't have bread but could offer me a wrap. Wait a second: WHAT?!? SUBWAY DOESN'T HAVE BREAD?!? That is like a computer store running out of computers and offering you a playstation instead ...


Not having a (real) choice I went on and mysteriously ended up in a foodcourt in Chinatown. A foodcourt is a kind of sacred site for food addicts and hell on earth for weightwatchers: There is plenty of seating in the middle and around it are restaurants and then some more, and a few more. It is definitely practical for bigger groups as there is something for everyone – probably even for vegetarians.


As it is somehow traditional to eat fish on new years day (whyever that is no one could tell me by now) I decided to take a Seafood Chow Mein with chinese noodles. What I got standing in front of me 10 minutes later seemed like a good reason to become vegetarian: A tasty looking vegetarian soup and a plate of definitely non-vegetarian Chow Mein which looked like Stephen King himself wrote the recipe. There were tentacles, there was slime and there was a lidless eye, staring at me like it would eat back if I dare to pick up the fork! And chinese noodles.

After a minute of mourning silence for $8.50 I believed to be lost in the depth of an ocean of culinary terror I hesitantly started eating. About 10 seconds later I went through several stages of taste induced ecstasy. At the end I was full and bloated and my plate empty. Almost empty, that is. The eye was still there. I just couldn't make myself eat that. Especially as the tentacles were attached to it as I found out shortly after I started eating. I guess its now in some dark place spending long hours trying to scare other food leftovers. The slime was great.


How can something that looks so ghastly taste so amazing?

No comments: