Sunday 20 January 2008

New Norfolk

Yesterday I made my way up to New Norfolk, which is a tiny town north of Hobart. There is work rumoured to be found here and indeed there is some. There just is the problem that it is quite difficult to get to the work and the work for sure won't come to you. A cherry orchard 30km outside town is looking for workers but how the hell do we (me and some other victims of lacking proximity in the hostel) get out there?

Somehow you get the impression that Tasmanians like hostels. During 3 days in the Hobart Hostel I talked to about 10 people of which 8 are Aussies. Out of these 8 about 5 are Tassys and 3 are from Hobart and surroundings. Why the hell would you stay in a hostel in your home town? Aussies are crazy, but well, that's no news. They even start tennis matches at midnight and let these poor bastards work their asses off until 4.30 in the morning. Quite convenient for Europeans watching it, though.

In the background I'm currently uploading pictures to flickr and it loads, and loads, and loads. And then it loads some more. Argh! I hate that. (yeah, 81% after just 1h 15mins, 82%) Well, in the German blog I wrote that I'm going to write the English blog entry to bridge the time, so what do I do when I finished that?

Btw: Here in Tassy I managed to get my first sunburn in Australia and it's a hefty one. Oh, it wasn't like that the sun was glaring down on me and grilling everything around. It was a cloudy day and which European puts on sunscreen when the sun isn't even shining? Unfortunately the ozon layer here more or less only exists as a memory of better times. I'm currently living right under the hole in the sky and that is recognisable. Outch!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, I guess you are a german who is living in Oz..

keep blogging.